After the success of the first edition (UIC 2021), the Second Ukulele International Conference (UIC 2023) – Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Performance, Composition, Pedagogy and Organology is organized and hosted by the Conservatory of Music “Antonio Vivaldi” in Alessandria (Italy) and co-directed by Giovanni Albini and Giovanni Cestino. Its aim is to delve into the diverse cultural identities and resources of the ukulele from both academic and artistic perspectives. It will be held in person at the Conservatory of Music “Antonio Vivaldi” – Palazzo Cuttica – in Alessandria on October 27 and 28, 2023. The call for paper is open: the deadline is June 20, 2023. A volume of the conference papers will be published in 2024.
Call for paper
UIC 2023 will host participants in the broad interdisciplinary community of research around the ukulele who will converge, share and celebrate their ongoing research efforts. We are looking for presentations focusing on one or more of the following themes:
- ukulele performance, techniques, and repertoires;
- composing, arranging, and transcribing for ukulele;
- ukulele organology and making;
- relationship between the ukulele and other instruments;
- cultural history of the ukulele;
- the ukulele in media and popular music;
- ukulele in/for music education and pedagogy.
- paper (20 min. presentation + 10 min. questions);
- paper with live performance (30 min. presentation + 10 min. questions).
Please submit an anonymized abstract (350 words max. excluding bibliography) and a short bio for all the submitting authors (150 words max. each) to email@example.com by the end of the day, June 20, 2023. Please include your affiliation and position (if any) in the body of your email. All paper and paper with live performance will be blind-reviewed. Notifications will be made by July 20, 2023. Participants are strongly recommended to attend the conference in-person. All travel and accommodation costs are the responsibility of the participant(s).
- Giovanni Albini, Conservatory of Alessandria (IT)
- Giovanni Cestino, University of Milan (IT)
- Federico Favali, Conservatory of Alessandria (IT)
- Evangelina Mascardi, Conservatory of Alessandria (IT)
- Samantha Muir, University of Surrey (UK)
- Emanuele Segre, Conservatory of Alessandria (IT)
- Amy Stillman, University of Michigan (USA)
- Jim Tranquada, Occidental College (USA)
Registration for all conference participants is €40 (reduced to €20 for students).